Daimler Unveils GenH2 Hydrogen Fuel-cell Concept Truck
Daimler Trucks unveiled an all-new Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck hydrogen fuel-cell concept truck, which is envisioned for flexible and demanding long-haul transport.
It's expected to have a range of up to 1,000 km (620 miles) using 80 kg of liquid hydrogen, stored in two stainless-steel tanks (40 kg each). Daimler explains: the stainless-steel tank system consists of two tubes, one within the other, that are connected to each other and vacuum-insulated.
The use of liquid hydrogen, instead of gaseous hydrogen, is crucial according to the manufacturer as it increases the overall energy density (smaller and lighter tanks) and allows for more range. On the other hand, Daimler needs to figure out how to commercially store liquid hydrogen in a mobile application at very low temperatures (in a stationary application is could be as low as -253°C).
"Daimler Trucks is currently pressing ahead with the development of the necessary tank-system technologies to make liquid hydrogen usable also in mobile applications as an energy source for series-produced fuel-cell trucks. The storage of cryogenic liquid hydrogen at -253 degrees Celsius is already common practice in stationary applications, for example in industry or at hydrogen filling stations. This also applies to the transport of liquid hydrogen as cargo."
Customer trials of the Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck are expected in 2023, while the start of series production is promised in the second half of this decade (2025-2028 according to the presentation).
The hydrogen fuel cell system is ready for 300 kW of power (2x 150 kW), but because it might not be enough for two 330 kW motors (total 660 kW), there is also an auxiliary 70 kWh battery pack. It can provide an additional 400 kW for short periods of times, take care of regenerative braking and most importantly, be used to keep the fuel cell stack at an optimum stable output level.
For the applications where the required range is not as high, the company plans to offer Mercedes-Benz eActros LongHaul (more on that in a separate post).
Mercedes-Benz GenH2 Truck specs:
range of up to 1,000 km (620 miles)
80 kg (2x 40 kg) of liquid hydrogen
300 kW of hydrogen fuel cells power output (2x 150 kW)
70 kWh battery with temporary power output of up to 400 kW
two electric motors
continuous output of 2x 230 kW and 2x 1,577 Nm of torque
peak output of 660 kW (2x 330 kW) and 2x 2,071 Nm of torque
target gross weight of 40 tons (25 tons of payload)
- Daimler Presents ‘GenH2' Mercedes-Benz Fuel-Cell Concept Truck 2020-09-18
- Volvo, Daimler to Form a Joint Venture for Large-scale Production of Fuel Cells 2020-04-24
- Daimler Trucks' Next EV will be a Garbage Truck 2020-02-04
- Daimler Brings its Latest Products on Display at CIIE 2019-11-08
- Foton Daimler Delivers 130 Units Auman Port Vehicles to Customers in Guangzhou 2019-11-01
- CATL to Supply Batteries for Daimler Electric Trucks 2019-09-23
- Daimler Rolls Out of Its 750,000th Heavy-duty Trucks at Clevela Plant 2019-08-29
- Daimler to Make Mercedes Benz-branded Heavy Trucks in China 2019-08-23
- Foton Daimler's Super Power Chain Hit the Market 2019-08-08
- Daimler 2018 Truck Sales Was Up 2019-04-08
Submit Your Requirements, We Are Always At Your Service.
- BYD Starts Operating Its Battery Factory in Brazil
- Kenworth Produces Last Severe-Service K500 Cabover
- Dongfeng Starts Construction on Its New Factory in Shiyan
- LNG Truck Sales Expected to Reach 113 Thousand Units by End of 2020
- ZOOMLION Listed in China’s 500 Most Valuable Brands for 17 Consecutive Years
- ZOOMLION’s 38m Truck Mounted Pump for India Rolls off Assembly Line
- Foton Signed a Strategic Cooperation Framework Agreement with Weichai
- Foton's Brand Value Reached 168.592 Billion RMB
- JAC and VW Cooperation Process
- Hyundai Targets 15% of European Hydrogen Truck Market by 2030
C&C Trucks Co., Ltd.
C&C Trucks Co , Ltd (C&C Trucks), located in Sanshan Economic Development Zone, Wuhu, Anhui Province, a holding company under China International Marine Containers (Group) Co , Ltd (CIMC), is a large heavy truck enterprise integrating the research and development, production
- Great Wall Motors Sold Over 20 Thousand Pickups in August, Up 80 Percent YOY
- China’s Light Truck Reports Sales Growth in August
- Heavy-duty Trucks Maintained a Solid Growth Against the Trend
- August Heavy-duty Truck Sales in China
- Chinese Heavy Truck Makers Set Higher Sales Targets for 2020
- JAC Truck Achieves 23,000 Units Sales in July, a 40.8% YoY Growth
- China’s Tractor Sales Saw Surging Growth in July
- Foton's July Truck Sales Seen Surging Growth
- China’s Heavy Truck Sales Hit New High in July
- Foton Overseas Sales Grow Against the Trend in H1, 2020